This post is inspired by the end of year reviews that Christine does on her YouTube channel, polandbananasBOOKS. In light of 2016 being a pretty horrendous year, there were also bright moments and I made this list to remind myself that there are always bright moments, even in the darkest of times.
- I spent New Years in New Orleans.
- President Barack Obama created the largest marine reserve in the world off Hawaii.
- I hiked through Yosemite and Sequoia National Park.
- The Gilmore Girls revival.
- I saw the Book of Mormon and School of Rock on Broadway.
- My brother got married!
- I made the Dean’s list at my university last term (gpa >3.5), despite pretty much failing my midterms in two key subjects.
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft landed on Jupiter.
- Bonaire switched to a 100% renewable energy electricity system.
- I saw my two best friends over the summer, who I don’t get to see often enough.
- Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton.
- I started this book blog and it’s brought me so much comfort and structure to my life.
- I made new friends.
- I joined my university’s hip hop dance team and performed in front of hundreds of people and oddly want to do it again.
- I got a new ukulele. His name’s Sylvester.
- The Cubs won the World Series.
- My family adopted a new kitten named Stevie and she plays fetch and sleeps under the sheets.
- A really sweet Barnes and Noble employee told me I’d fit right in working at a bookstore.
- I got back in contact with some childhood friends who I haven’t seen or spoken to in years.
- And finally, I realized that even with all of the sadness that 2016 gave us, we are the generation that isn’t afraid to call bullshit when we see it and we will not let the world burn to dust.
(sorry if that’s a bit out of place in this list but it’s comforting to know)
Happy New Years to all and I hope that 2017 is a good and kind year to you!